Frequently Asked Questions
1. If assessed home values drop, will property taxes do the same?
“Taxes are not tied directly to home values, despite what a lot of people think,” said Alan Dornfest, property tax policy supervisor for the Idaho State Tax Commission.
“Taxes are based on the budgets of taxing districts,” he said. “If cities, counties, and other taxing districts budget the same amount from property tax from one year to the next, but property values go down, the levy rate goes up automatically to compensate.” For most taxing districts, budgets aren’t set until August or early September, so final property tax amounts won’t be certain until then.
Dornfest said property values are determined by county assessors as of January 1 of each year, so whatever happens to the real estate market later in the year has no impact until the following year’s assessment. While property values have plummeted in some parts of Idaho during 2009, Dornfest said, they’ve actually risen in others.
The Tax Commission oversees Idaho’s property tax system, which is administered by the counties. For more information on property assessments and taxes, visit the Property Tax section of the Tax Commission’s Web site at tax.idaho.gov.
2. What is the estimated population of Jefferson County?
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the estimated population in 2015 was 27,157.
3. How many school districts are there in Jefferson County?
There are three school districts:
- Jefferson Joint School District No. 251
- Ririe School District No. 252
- West Jefferson School District No. 253
4. Where do I obtain a driver's license?
At the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office at 200 Courthouse Way in Rigby or at the Mud Lake Satellite Office at 1055 E 1500 N in Terreton which is open on the 1st & 3rd Thursdays from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
5. Where do I register a vehicle?
At the Motor Vehicle counter in the Assessor's Office at 210 Courthouse Way, Suite 150 in Rigby or at the Mud Lake Satellite Office at 1055 E 1500 N in Terreton which is open on the 1st & 3rd Thursdays from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
6. Where is the Emergency Operations Plan located for Jefferson County?
One location is in the County Emergency Management Office at 210 Courthouse Way, Suite 230 in Rigby.
7. How many fire districts are in Jefferson County?
There are four fire districts in Jefferson County: Central Fire, Hamer, Roberts, and West Jefferson.
8. Is there a library in Jefferson County?
There are 5:
3453 E 480 N
Lewisville, ID 83431
Phone: (208) 754-8608
Menan, Annis, Grant Library
623 A N 3500 E
Menan, ID 83434
Phone: (208) 754-0021
464 Main St
Ririe, ID 83443
Phone: (208) 538-7974
110 N State St
Rigby, ID 83442
Phone: (208) 745-8231
650 N 2870 E
Roberts, ID 83444
Phone: (208) 228-2210
9. Are there senion citizens centers in Jefferson County?
Yes, there are four in Rigby, Ririe, Roberts, and Terreton.
10. What cities are incorporated in Jefferson County?
Lewisville, Menan, Mud Lake, Rigby, Ririe, and Roberts.
11. Where can I find more information about Jefferson County?
Check out the Chamber of Commerce websites.
View County Events and Public Meetings